This week, we learned much about furious learning theories and multimedia learning. A couple of points resonated and stood out to me, such as the coherency principle, which can be used in screencasting. 

Here is a screencast I created to sum up my blog post! Here is the link for the resource I discussed: https://waterbearlearning.com/mayers-principles-multimedia-learning/

Mayer’s coherence principle says we should use concise narration, contextual graphics and animation, and appropriate narration to help understand and retain memory when online learning (Wisc-Online, 2018). I could not agree with this principle more, and it surprised me that this is considered in the principles of multimedia learning. I have experienced issues with coherency myself throughout online education. Often teachers and professors throw so much information at you that it’s difficult to keep it organized and even more difficult to understand all the important information. I learn best when lectures and educational materials provided to us by professors are coherent first and then go more in-depth. Just as it’s difficult to learn calculus before you learn how to add and subtract, it’s difficult to learn more advanced topics before understanding the basics.

Here is more about the Coherence Principle!

Further, screencasting is a tool used and multimedia learning. Screen casting sounds like a foreign concept; however, it’s something we’ve probably all seen before. For example, Khan Academy videos are screencasts. It’s very important that screencasts are coherent with concise narration, contextual graphics and animation, and appropriate narration to help viewers understand the information and retain memory about what they learned while watching the video.

Here is an example of a Khan Academy screencast.

Thanks for the read, and I hope you enjoyed 🙂

Amelia

WiscOnlineOrg. (2018, October 30). The Coherence Principle. YouTube. Retrieved September 22, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTyr9P15JhI