Hi everyone! My name is Amelia Riehl (she/her); I am 20 years old, and I am the author behind “Below Average” in EDCI 335, 337, 338, and 339 at the University of Victoria (aka. UVic). I chose the title “Below Average” because I always thought the labelling of a student in school as ‘below average’ was wrong. It is a diminishing label that can ruin the self-esteem and self-worth of a student. Everyone learns differently, and that is normal. 

I am majoring in Psychology at UVic, where I will follow the mental health and well-being stream. I am in this class because I have finally decided I want to get a minor in Education. After I finish my first degree, I plan on returning to school to get an after-degree in Education or to attend graduate school to get a Master of Education in Counselling Psychology. 

Victoria is a lovely city if you put aside the awful drivers… A stop sign says “STOP” for a reason, and Victorians do not seem to understand that. However, I was born and raised in northern Manitoba, where we completely disregard any sort of traffic direction! I moved to Victoria in August 2020 after graduating high school in June 2020, and I have been here ever since! I travel home to Manitoba in the fall when it never stops raining in Victoria and for Christmas so I can visit my parents, my two little brothers, my two lovely pups, and my two not-so-lovely cats. 

I look forward to learning alongside you all.

Amelia 🙂

If you don’t feel like reading, feel free to watch this introduction video! (May, 2022)